Citizens Advice Q&A Issue 5

I bought two dresses online a month ago and only one arrived.  I have contacted the shop several times via email but I have not had a response.  I paid by credit card.  Is there any way I can get my money back?

Paying by credit card gives you the option to claim back through a term called ‘Chargeback’.  You would contact your credit card provider and explain the situation and tell them how much you are claiming.  In this case it would be the cost of the missing dress.  If the credit card provider accepts your claim they will refund the money into your card/bank account.   An important note however, the original seller may challenge your refund even after you have received the money, especially if they think they can “prove” you did receive the dress.  Therefore it would be sensible to keep the money for a few weeks in case their challenge is successful and you have to pay it back.


After parking at my local supermarket to shop and go to the cafe, I received a private parking fine as I apparently overstayed the allotted time.  This was a few months ago.  I ignored the letter as I heard you didn’t have to pay and now I’ve received a letter threatening court action.  Can they really take me to court?

If you receive a private parking “fine” you have 3 options: 1) Pay it, 2) Ignore it or 3) Challenge it.  As you decided to ignore it, the company may continue to send requests for payment. You may opt to continue ignoring these.  The private parking operator can choose to take you to court, however our experience to date is that in practice this rarely happens for single instances of parking rule breaches. If it does go to court you may be able to defend this if you have valid reasons, for example if the signs in the car park were not clear enough, or if you have mobility problems which mean it is hard for you to stay within the “maximum time”.  In theory it is possible that a court would decide that you breached the contract you entered into by parking on private land, and if this happened you could be liable to pay a higher charge than that of the original fine.  If you want to discuss your case on more detail, please contact us on 0141 889 2121 or book online at our website:


I recently booked a trip to Manchester and as a wheelchair user I requested an ‘accessible’ hotel room. On arrival room was not accessible and did not meet my requirements.  They could not offer me an alternative and said there was nothing they could do except offer a refund.  I ended up having to book in to another hotel which was more expensive so I am still out of pocket.  Is there anything I can do?

Hotels and othe such service providers must not treat disabled people less favourably than non-disabled people.  They are required to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to enable disabled people to use their services.  You mentioned that the room did not meet your requirements but you did not set out what these requirements were. However, if these were reasonable e.g., having an accessible shower, it’s likely that the hotel failed in their duty. The Equality and Human Rights Commission has more information on your rights on their website

We would suggest getting in touch with our legal advice service by calling us on 0141 889 2121, they will be able to discuss your options with you.