Citizens Advice Q&A Issue 3

Question: I’ve been off work for a couple of months now after having a stroke, I’m still unable to work and find everyday activities a struggle. Someone mentioned a benefit I could apply for called PIP how do I go about applying for that?

Answer: PIP (personal independence payment) was a non-means tested benefit which individuals between the age of 16 until state pension age could apply for. Since the 29th of August in Scotland a new benefit has replaced PIP. You can now apply for the Adult Disability Payment (ADP) which is administered by Social Security Scotland. ADP is extra money to help you have a disability or long-term health condition that affects your everyday life. You can apply for ADP in a number of different ways, more information can be found at the following webpage:

Question: I receive both working tax and child tax credits. I know that people who receive tax credits are due to receive their first cost of living payment from the start of September. Does that mean I’ll get the payment twice because I receive both types of tax credits?

Answer: Unfortunately, not, as you receive both Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, you will receive a Cost of Living Payment for Child Tax Credit only. The Government will shortly update their guidance to show the qualifying dates to receive the second payment of £324 which will be paid sometime in Winter 2022.

Question: My dad is a pensioner and lives alone, he relies on his State Pension and I know he’ll really struggle this winter with all his bills increasing. What help is available for him?

Answer: We would recommend your dad gets in touch with the Bureau by calling 0141 889 2121 or visiting our website to make an appointment. His eligibility for support will be depend on his income and savings. Some support he may receive includes the Winter Fuel Payment, he is eligible to receive this if he was born between the 26th of September 1942 and the 25th of September 1956. Your dad could receive between £250 and £600 depending on his personal circumstances. For more information and for details of how to apply visit: All of our advisers provide holistic advice so will be able to advise your dad on income maximisation, energy, debt and much more.